Winners were announced Friday, Dec. 4, for the 2020 Parrish Medical Center Stars of Space Coast Awards, presented by 211 Brevard to honor the “stellar work” in local nonprofits:
- Volunteers of America/Supportive Services for Veteran Families for the CBRE/Imperial Plaza Superstar Award for veterans’ services.
- Space Coast Early Steps for the Publix Super Market Charities All-Star Award for children’s services.
- And Family Promise of Brevard for the Florida Power & Light Community Star Award for homelessness prevention.
“In this sixth year of presenting the awards, we chose to focus on nonprofits that align with some of our target programs,” said Libby Donoghue, executive director for 211 Brevard. “Some of these partners clearly shined in delivering assistance in the face of the challenges of COVID-19.”
211 Brevard serves as lead agency for Help Me Grow Brevard in support of healthy child development, is a member of and a “front door” for services through the Brevard Homeless Coalition, and employs veterans who serve as peer care coordinators for the Florida Veterans Support Line (MyFLVet).
“We know firsthand how hard all the finalists and other nonprofits have worked during the pandemic to avoid disruptions in providing help to people in need,” Donoghue said.
211 Brevard managed more than 40,000 calls since mid-March, an increase of about 50 percent year over year, and call volume reached more than four times its normal level on some days in the period.
Other finalists for the awards were:
- Mentors for Brevard Veterans Treatment Court and the Veterans Memorial Center for the CBRE/Imperial Plaza Superstar Award.
- Brevard Health Alliance and Early Learning Coalition of Brevard for the Publix Super Market Charities All-Star Award.
- Eckerd Connects Family Support Services and South Brevard Sharing Center for the Florida Power & Light Community Star Award.
Gold Star Plus Sponsors:
Gold Star Sponsors:
Silver Star Sponsors:
Brevard Federation of Teachers
Community Credit Union