Winners were announced Friday (May 1) for the Health First Stars of the Space Coast Awards, presented by 2-1-1 Brevard to recognize the “stellar” work of local nonprofits.
- Brevard Schools Foundation for the Health First Supernova Award, recognizing a nonprofit for magnifying impact.
- Brevard Achievement Center for the Central Florida Hand Center Lodestar Award, recognizing a nonprofit board for leadership.
- Susan Thomas of Rolling Readers for the All Pro Garage Doors Superstar Award, recognizing an employee of a nonprofit for exceptional work.
- And Nana’s House for the Grimaldi Candies Community Star Award, which was determined by online voting.
More photos are posted on the 2-1-1 Brevard Facebook page.
“Our mission is to provide intervention and resources to our callers, which we couldn’t do without the many health and human services organizations in the community,” said Libby Donoghue, 2-1-1 Brevard executive director.
“It seemed appropriate to us to develop an event that generated awareness and financial support for our mission critical partners, as well as for 2-1-1 Brevard.”
Other award nominees were:
- Central Brevard Sharing Center and The Haven for Children for the Health First Supernova Award.
- Housing for Homeless for the Central Florida Hand Center Lodestar Award.
- Linda Ahearn of Catholic Charities and Patricia Nellius of Brevard Family Partnership for the All Pro Garage Doors Superstar Award.
- Brevard Achievement Center and Family Promise of Brevard for the Grimaldi Candies Community Star Award.
The event was held at Exploration Tower at Port Canaveral. The master of ceremonies was Greg Pallone of Bright House Central Florida News 13.
Media sponsors were News 13, Florida Today and SCB Marketing. Other sponsors were Florida Power & Light Co., Joyce and Larry Boudrie, and attorney Maria Riddle.
In-kind sponsors were Fishlips Waterfront Bar & Grill and Rusty’s Seafood and Oyster Bar.